I finally solved my problem perhaps it's not the best way but it works for
me.

After digging in the sources of the SignInPanel I figured out the following.
setRequired() is always called in the constructor of a PasswortTextField.
setRequired() is a method of the FormComponent class which has also a method
reportRequiredError() that writes the error message.  In the implementation
of the method you can see that the resource key for the required error
message is "Required". So I simply override this key in the properties file
of my login page and it worked perfectly.

private void reportRequiredError()
{
    error(new ValidationError().addMessageKey("Required"));
}

I know it is not the best solution as this will override the required error
message of any other FormComponent object on the login page on which
setRequired(true) was called. But as the SignInForm is the only Form on my
login page this is ok for me.