On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 11:35 AM, Sylvain Vieujot <svieu...@apache.org> wrote:

> On Wed, 2011-09-07 at 10:19 -0700, Igor Vaynberg wrote:
>
> On Wed, Sep 7, 2011 at 10:11 AM, Sylvain Vieujot <svieu...@apache.org> wrote:
> > I looked at this code, but it does not really help as it has to bind to an
> > event, whilst I am trying to do an auto update component.
> >
> > I have 2 questions :
> >
> > 1) Why does the AbstractAjaxBehavior sets the getStatelessHint to false ?
> > It seems to me that this "non stateless" hint could be set much lower in the
> > classe hierarchy, but I must be missing something.
>
> because the behavior itself is stateful. it needs to generate a
> callback url to a component, which means it needs a page id - which
> means the page has to exist already - which means it cannot be
> stateless. it works much the same way as a Link component.
>
> But if the page is stateless you should not need the page id, just the page
> class to create a new instance isn't it ? (that is if the
> page's components ids are stable - see 2 below)

suppose in your behavior you do panel1.replacewith(panel2) and panel2
has another stateless behavior. when that behavior fires and recreates
the stateless page - this instance will not have panel2 so you will
get an error. all these kinds of weird situations may creep up and
they are hard to track. this is why our default behaviors are stateful
by default, because most of the time that is what you want.

there are some stateless behaviors out there, and a way for you to use
them - its just not the model we support by default.

-igor