I cant get the below to work in 1.5.1 (only version I've tried it in
for a long time)

http://www.mail-archive.com/wicket-user@lists.sourceforge.net/msg10790.html

my code:

                        DropDownChoice<Entrance> ddEntrance = new
DropDownChoice<Entrance>(
                                        idEntranceOrIvrMenu, entranceModel,

backendDaoService.getCustomerEntranceList(),
                                        new DropDownRenderer<Entrance>()) {
                                 @Override
                                 protected CharSequence getDefaultChoice(String
arg0) {

                                 return new
ResourceModel("chooseone.customerentrance")
                                 .getObject();
                                 }
                        };

property file:

chooseone.ivr=Vælg IVR Menu
chooseone.customerentrance=Vælg Kundeindgang
chooseone.shadowentrance=Vælg Skyggeindgang

Screen shots:
top one are where I override (theres actually no default text just the
first option) , bottom one where i don't.
http://imgur.com/a/SJwOt

-regards Nino