So I am on the verge of giving up on integrating Wicket and ExtJS and
going with some other webapp framework.  I thought Wicket and ExtJS
would be the perfect companions because Wicket is basically a
hierarchy of components and so is ExtJS.  If I could extend wicket
components to write out the required javascript instead of their HTML
(or even in addition to), it would be a perfect fit.  My developers
wouldn't need to be expert javascript developers as long as enough of
us were to maintain the components.  The developer could simply snap
in an extended component in Wicket, and like magic, a beautiful
full-featured UI widget appears in their browser.

The problems I am having are probably mostly from my Wicket
inexperience.  I just cannot figure out how to make components that do
what I want.  I try using header contributors to write out the
javascript, but many wicket values (like the links generated by the
link components) don't seem available in the page.  I envisioned being
able to override a method in an extended component to write out what I
wanted to write like myComponent.writeMe() to write out what I wanted
to write out.  But that seems like it's not how Wicket works.

I am presently overriding onBeforeRender at the page level, iterating
through child components looking for an interface I hung on my
extended components, and calling methods to get javascript
contributions from them, and then adding a header contributor to the
page.  But this feels like I am ESCAPING the tool, not using it.

And the strict Wicket component to markup structure is frustrating
because ExtJS 4 builds components solely through javascript.  It feels
like Wicket is fighting me every step of the way, and that screams to
me that I am misusing the tool.

Has anyone done something like this in Wicket?  Can anyone provide
some guidance?  Am I approaching the problem from the wrong
perspective?

Brian Mulholland