Recently some co-workers and I started questioning what is the (most)
correct method for determining component visibility.  In the past we've
gone from calling setVisible() to overriding isVisible() and now are
finding some people pointed to using setVisibilityAllowed() in
onBeforeRender while override callOnBeforeRenderIfNotVisible() to return
true.  Clearly, there are some pitfalls/gotchas to each method, but we're
trying to develop a clean and consistent codebase (or rather, trying to
make a dirty and inconsistent codebase less so).  What is the intended,
preferred, or rules-of-thumb for how to accomplish this?  Is some
combination of these methods the inevitable result, or is there a
consistent method to this?