I'm a little confused about AjaxFallbackLink. Here is what I found here :
http://java.dzone.com/news/interview-how-wicket-does-ajax

look at difference between AjaxLink and AjaxFallback link

Why for AjaxFallbackLink you shoud be prepared for target being null and for
AjaxLink not.

In AjaxFallbackLink :
if (target!=null) {
.// ajax callback, tell wicket to repaint the table only
target.addComponent(table);
} else {
// regular callback, ajax not available, repaint the current page
}

Why for AjaxLink you should not care about target being null if ajax not
available. It is also an Ajax component.
I hope is clear my question.
Thanks