Hi,

I am using resource references for the first time to implement fetching images from a DB. The URLs will be of the following form: "/resources/dbImages/DB_ID.png" where DB_ID is an identifier to retrieve the image from the DB.

I'm using the article at http://wicketinaction.com/2011/07/wicket-1-5-mounting-resources/ as a guide and have a couple of questions.

1. What is the purpose of the equals() override in the class ImageResource? I don't understand the explanation given in the article... Also, I put a breakpoint in my own resource class' equals() method and it never hits!

2. Can I use part of the "resources" namespace or is that asking for trouble since Wicket can use it however it likes?

3. When using getRequestCycle().urlFor(new MyResourceReference(), imageParameters), the following happens:
at line 216 in ResourceMapper#addCachingDecoration(Url, PageParameters) :
    final IResource resource = resourceReference.getResource();

with a comment right above that says "// TODO is calling getResource() a potential performance bottleneck?"

I am concerned that each time a url to my image resource reference is created, the DB will be hit, simply for getting the Url! It will then maybe be hit a second time afterwards if the client doesn't have the image in cache. Am I completely off-base here? Is there another way to manage resources so this doesn't happen?

Thanks,
Bertrand