I just spent an hour debugging what would normally be a simple problem- the
markup for a page that extends a base class failed to define a component
which was added by the base class. But the problem wasn't immediately
obvious because it was actually occurring in my 404 page, and NOT the page I
was testing. I had no expectation that the 404 was even involved.

So I set some breakpoints, and it seems that the 404 page is constructed
whenever the user visits a page annotated with @RequiresHttps. Is this
really by design? Might cause problems for folks who are doing logging or
similar activity based on the 404 loading.

Also, if the Page class could output its classname as part of the "The
component(s) below failed to render" message, that would help debugging
immensely.

PS: I set up my 404 as per
https://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/error-pages-and-feedback-messages.html

Thanks