I went though this pain a few months ago too. Here are all the places I had
to hit:

1. In your HTML files:

    <?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>

And also in your <head>:

2. For property files, if you use i18n you will need to use the foo.xml
format rather than foo.properties, and also include the above <?xml
version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?> in each of them.

3. In your WicketApplication.java:

    // wicket 1.4; perhaps different in 1.5
    getRequestCycleSettings().setResponseRequestEncoding("UTF-8");
    getMarkupSettings().setDefaultMarkupEncoding("UTF-8");

4. In your pom.xml (to cover any copied resources):

    <properties>
    </properties>

5. Finally, in Intellij:

    File -> Preferences -> File Encodings -> IDE Encoding: UTF-8.

What made this frustrating is that it always seemed to render fine with the
embedded Jetty, but not with Tomcat (so things would always look great
locally, but fall apart in production).