From: Chris Colman [mailto:chr...@stepaheadsoftware.com]
Sent: Wednesday, 11 January 2012 9:37 PM
To: users@wicket.apache.org
Subject: Javascript resources and jsessionid

I realize that the servlet container is responsible for URL rewriting
and hence adding the jsessionid but I was after an opinion:

Is it right that Javascript resources get URLs rewritten to include the
jsessionid when search engines access a website?
(And indeed for normal users on their first visit to the site).

Eg.,

<script type="text/javascript"
src="wicket/resource/org.apache.wicket.extensions.ajax.markup.html.modal
.ModalWindow/res/modal-ver-1326193494000.js;jsessionid=3E45F45F056AF2BCF
CFD030B489F832A"></script>

I guess for search engines it doesn't matter as they won't be
downloading the .js anyway - the jsessionid just adds extra clutter to
the HTML - but for normal users with cookies enabled it could cause the
.js downloaded after a new session is created to be redownloaded when
the next page is requested because at that stage the server would have
established that the client supports cookies and so would not render
subsequent pages with jsessionidS suffixed to the .js references.

Depending on how smart the browser's cache is it might see the jsession
suffixed .js and the clean .js as two separate resources and do a second
download of the .js.

Hmmm, interesting.

Again, this is not strictly a Wicket issue but I'd be interested to know
what others think about this.

Yours sincerely,

Chris Colman

Pagebloom Team Leader,
Step Ahead Software

pagebloom - your business & your website growing together

Sydney:           (+61 2) 9656 1278     Canberra: (+61 2) 6100 2120
Email: chr...@stepahead.com.au <mailto://chr...@stepahead.com.au>
Website:
http://www.pagebloom.com <blocked::http://www.pagebloom.com/>
http://develop.stepaheadsoftware.com