Thanks for the reply.  The direction I'm wondering about is kind of like
chained ajax requests and responses.  At the API level you would update some
controls in the onClick(), then tell wicket to return the updated ajax
targets by calling some API method that would block until the web browser
sent the next request saying it got the response and is ready to continue.
So Wicket would make it a synchronous method for the developer but behind
the scenes, it would be sending ajax responses and telling the web page to
immediately make another request to continue the wicket server-side method.

The first release could make some assumptions like the socket would just
block until the code is finished for each section of code that takes a
while.  Then it could be refined as browsers and java servers better support
push technology.

Couldn't this be added to the core API and provide an interface for
different implementations?  I'm no expert but this is on my wish list.