Hi,

Wicket 1.5 uses by default JavaSerializer (ISerializer impl based on
Java Serialization API) because it is tested well (in previous
versions of Wicket). It may be slower than other serialization
frameworks but it works well in all cases.
KryoSerializer is easy to use with Java objects and it is very easy to
optiimize it for specific classes but it is not that well test and
fail you in corner cases. And Kryo itself is actively developed at the
moment...

But ISerializer is in Wicket 1.5 (I think Makundi still use 1.4).

Wicket is optimized to have as small as possible components. If you
see optimization in any of them please file a ticket and we will
improve it.
But adding thousands of small components will still produce a big page...

Suggestions:

- show less items per page.
Who wants to scroll a page with thousands items ?! Use paging and filters.

- experiment with Jolira's stateless ajax behaviors
By making your page stateless it wont be serialized at all (this
answers your question about "tell Wicket to not serialize")

HTH

Martin Grigorov
jWeekend
Training, Consulting, Development