First of all, you stated that your problem what that the serialized size was too big, so please don't be so rude.

Now, are you sure that the slow part of serialization is not the IO for storing that 10MB? If it is, zipping the page could definitely improve performance, even if it takes a some CPU time to do the operation.

Bertrand