Yes I did, it's a quite common solution with Wicket. I can show you my code but it doesn't differ so much from your.

I've wrote a "container" panel with two sub panels: the upper one shows some information about a generic iter of certification, the lower one is the custom content of the page.
Here's the markup code:

<wicket:panel>
</wicket:panel>

and here's the java code:

public class IterAwarePanel extends Panel {

    public static String CONTENT_ID = "panelContent";
    private IterNavigationPanel navigationPanel;

    public IterAwarePanel(String id, Iter iter) {
        super(id);
        navigationPanel = new IterNavigationPanel("iterInfo", iter);
        add(navigationPanel);
    }

    public Iter getIter() {
        return navigationPanel.getIter();

If I were you I would try to use SearchPanel in another test page to see if it gives the same error. Probably you a have just a typo somewhere in your code on in your markup.