I'm using the AJAXDownload with success in my current project (Wicket 1.5.4).

Just create an instance of the AJAXDownload, override getResourceStream to
return your IResourceStream and getFileName (would recommend it) to return
your desired filename.

When done, add it to your AJAXSubmit component (AjaxLink, AjaxFallbackLink
or AjaxButton... or similar) and initiate your download in its onSubmit
method via "yourAJAXDownload.initiate(yourIResourceStream);".

Basically its 100% like in the example given here:
https://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/ajax-update-and-file-download-in-one-blow.html

-----
Never forget your umbrella ! In case You did, try to find a shelter ;)