I added it inside the form in the markup and made sure I added the
FeedbackPanel to the form component itself and it appears to work quite
well.

The wicket framework must have a flexible algorithm when looking for the
FeedbackPanel component to toggles it's visibility and add error
messages. I had previously always assumed that it only looked for the
FeedbackPanel in the parent of the form component.