I tried these methods but they didn't work.
They still calculated the url to be /ui/images/datepicker.png.

I found the problem.
The page is a stateful and unmounted page.
In wicket 1.4 these pages url would rendered as
/context/?wicket:interface=:4::::
In wicket 1.5 the url is /context/wicket/page?3
That's why the extra ../ worked .

I'll solve this problem either by finding out how to render the url so it's
more like in wicket 1.4 or by putting in an absolute url to the image :
/contextname/ui/images/datepicker
I have no problem with the app knowing its context name...

@Paul
Migration is a bitch.
I never intended to go past 1.4.x with my app.
wicket 6 features got me excited , I really want wicket to use jquery lib
instead of homebrewed javascript solutions.
But migrating over 2 major versions is a pain in the ass, so I'm first
migrating to 1.5.x.
The migration guide covers a lot of issues, but not all, so I will find
myself looking for solutions in the mailing lists and on stackoverflow
quite a lot.

If your app is stable and you don't think you'll benefit from the new
features, just stay on 1.3.x.
If you still want to migrate I suggest you migrate to 1.4.x (17 or above)
first and then decide if you want to go on to 1.5.