lol. Yes we are indeed tinkering with the custom request mappers. I removed
some code from the code sample above thinking at the time that it wasn't
relevant. Here's the full code (not sure if it helps with the investigation
of the problem or not but since you mentioned it I'll include it anyway):

mount(new NoVersionMount("/home", HomePage.class));

public class NoVersionMount extends MountedMapper {
    public NoVersionMount(String path, Class<? extends
            IRequestablePage> pageClass) {
        super(path, pageClass, new PageParametersEncoder());
    }

    @Override protected void encodePageComponentInfo(Url url,
                                                     PageComponentInfo info)
{
        // do nothing so that component info does not get
        // rendered in url
    }

    @Override public Url mapHandler(IRequestHandler
                                            requestHandler) {
        if (requestHandler instanceof
                ListenerInterfaceRequestHandler) {
            return null;
        } else {
            return super.mapHandler(requestHandler);