I have not used stateless ajax myself so I can't help you much there. Have a look here for stateless ajax:
https://github.com/jolira/wicket-stateless

Also, before you make such big modifications, I suggest you take the time to profile the memory usage of your pages. There could be a 1-hour fix available to your problem depending on its source.