We have some proprietary small projects in our product developed in Wicket
that matches your request.

I had to develop something similar for a form that draws itself on the
screen in a tab panel whose meta-data is in XML which in turn is uploaded to
the product as a plug-in at run-time. To get this up and running took a good
3-4 weeks of development time.

Thus what you're asking for is possible and you don't have to restrict your
meta-data to XML, feel free to use annotations if it's all done in Java
code. You should keep in mind that Wicket depends a lot on the MVC, your
only limitations are really the model object(s), the custom form validation
and submission actions (error reporting, localization etc).

The model I overcome by using generic objects for each form field in a tree
structure with IDs for each element and using this tree as the model of the
form which in turn is used by the form submission after validation succeeds
to grab the user input. The same tree carries the UI definitions and default
values as loaded from the XML file.

For the custom form validation, I allowed the developer of the XML file(s)
define a validator given the well known wicket classes and their API plus
the specific domain ones we have developed in-house and pass primitive
arguments to their constructors (ie: maximum character size for this text
field is x).

Since I'm using this on a single page, I didn't have to worry about the form
submission and error but I could have designed this as an interface and have
the client code implement it form different forms and pages, I think is
doable.

~ Thank you,
  Paul Bors