Yes, that's what I observed and described below. And that behavior
is not appropriate for my use case.

So, how can I stop Wicket to "make the url relative to the web root
no matter what mount path I use for the page"?

I want to *change* that: my designer delivers HTML where the images
are *not* relative to the web root, but to one directory below. In
our HTML files are URLs like "../images/image.img" and I don't want
to change these URLs.

Alternatively, how can I tell Wicket that the web root has a
different prefix just for rewriting these image URLs?

Thanks,
Joachim