perhaps an error occurs during an ajax request whose response is
ignored. or maybe it happens during resource processing...

eg tinymce requests a resource, wicket doesnt find it and throws an
exception. your panel renders. but, because the url was for a resource
the response is ignored because its not a 200 response.

-igor