Follow up.  I turned on the access valve on tomcat and I can see a request
for each JavaScript file.  Each request completes in a fraction of a second,
so there is no one file that is causing the slowdown.  However, about half
way through requesting the files, it seems to take a 20 to 25 second break.
So far I have observed this behaviour around the wicket_ajax.js and
wicket_event.js requests.  This could just be a coincidence.  I initially
thought perhaps one of these scripts was executing something and tying up
the browser before it could request the next script;  however, this problem
doesn't occur once the JavaScript has been cached.  Subsequent requests are
very fast.  Anyone have any thoughts?  Something else I could try?