The way I did it - I created a panel to be used by all reports. It uses IndicatingAjaxButton for "Generate Report" button which starts report generation in thread and adds AjaxSelfUpdating behaviour to the button panel. Once generation is finished, previously invisible "Download Report" button is enabled, which uses standard non-ajax DownloadLink to allow user to Download report.