>I would say "no" only because going from 1.5 -> 6 was super easy. I
>changed a few ints to longs, added a bunch of type parameters for
>sorting and then it all "just worked".

While I found 1.5 -> 6 a lot easier than 1.4 -> 1.5 if you like
incremental development and want to have some intermediate compilable
and runnable code then I suggest you target 1.5 first.

1.4 has quite a few methods/classes that are deprecated in 1.5 - this
means that even though they are "shunned" upon they are still present
and working - which makes your 1.4 -> 1.5 efforts easier because you can
avoid doing quite a lot code changes which means less effort before you
get a working system again.

Version 6, on the other hand, removes many of the deprecations of 1.5
which means you will have to replace these before you can a successful
compile.

It depends on your style but I like to do things in shorter increments
with many small successes rather than a big huge effort with no success
for possibly many days, depending on the size of your code, and then one
big success at the end (but you'll probably still have some runtime only
errors to tackle).