It appears the mock app does quite some nasty things... this works:

  /**
   *
   */
  public AbstractWebService() {
    Application.set(getApplication());

    final ServletContext servletContext = getApplication().getServletContext();
    final MockHttpSession mockHttpSession = new MockHttpSession(servletContext);
    final MockHttpServletRequest mockHttpServletRequest = new
MockHttpServletRequest(Application.get(), mockHttpSession,
servletContext);
    final MockHttpServletResponse servletResponse = new
MockHttpServletResponse(mockHttpServletRequest);

    final WebRequest wicketRequest =
getApplication().newWebRequest(mockHttpServletRequest);
    final WebResponse wicketResponse =
getApplication().newWebResponse(servletResponse);

    getApplication().newRequestCycle(wicketRequest, wicketResponse);
  }