Just looking at the Wicket source for an unrelated issue I noticed that

WicketTagIdentifier stores a private static collection of
wellKnownTagNames as an ArrayList.

and a method called isWellKnown is called from within
WicketTagIdentifier.onComponentTag and presumably it's called on every
Wicket tag parsed.

            private boolean isWellKnown(final ComponentTag tag)
            {
                        for (String name : wellKnownTagNames)
                        {
                                    if
(tag.getName().equalsIgnoreCase(name))
                                    {
                                                return true;
                        return false;
            }

This method iterates over the list elements until an item is found so
has O(n) performance. If this array list was to be changed to a Set
instead it would have O(1) performance.

I haven't got any metrics on the usage and I don't think the improvement
would be sensational but for web apps with large quantities of markup it
could make some difference. For such a simple change it's probably worth
it.