Hi Tim,

I ran into the same question a couple of days ago, and in what maybe
constitutes overkill for a simpler solution I didn't see, I looked at
CssResourceReference and reused as much of the code as seemed to be
necessary to make a FaviconResourceReference:

https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B3dKFXxMXAj1dWpCVUJqYzNJYUk

With it, you can put your favicon.ico where you said you would, create a

  FaviconResourceReference feedReaderFavicon = new FaviconResourceReference
      (FeedReader.class, "resources/favicon.ico");

and add

  response.render(FaviconReferenceHeaderItem.forReference(feedReaderFavicon));

to your page's (overridden) renderHead method, just as you would with a
page-specific CSS resource.

Cheers,
Robert