From: Chris Colman [mailto:chr...@stepaheadsoftware.com]
Sent: Friday, 23 November 2012 12:53 AM
To: users@wicket.apache.org
Subject: RE: How important is detaching models really ?

I guess in more complex apps the UI elements end up with lots of references to
model objects so detaching does save a lot of memory and it also makes
transferring session data from one web server to another (if required) in a
multi server environment, much more efficient. I have experienced the result of
accidentally serializing an object graph with megabytes of data that didn't use
detach - ouch!

The other benefit of detaching is your model will expose updates to the UI (if
a redisplay occurred) that were made in other ORM sessions (depending on your
ORM). Keeping a non detached copy of the model object will typically be like
caching it in it's current state for most ORMs - i.e. it can get stale

EMAIL DISCLAIMER This email message and its attachments are confidential and
may also contain copyright or privileged material. If you are not the intended
recipient, you may not forward the email or disclose or use the information
contained in it. If you have received this email message in error, please
advise the sender immediately by replying to this email and delete the message
and any associated attachments. Any views, opinions, conclusions, advice or
statements expressed in this email message are those of the individual sender
and should not be relied upon as the considered view, opinion, conclusions,
advice or statement of this company except where the sender expressly, and with
authority, states them to be the considered view, opinion, conclusions, advice
or statement of this company. Every care is taken but we recommend that you
scan any attachments for viruses.