Ive stepped through the GzipFilter, and things look to be processed through
the Gzip compression, but only my welcome.html page is returned as gzipped
- all the .css and .js resources do not have a gzip Content-Encoding set on
them.

Just to clarify, did you really mean "text/application" instead of
"text/css" and "application/javascript" ?