Hi,

You can use MarkMail to see the activity in the mailing lists (there is a
Flash at the left-top corner)
- users:
http://markmail.org/search/?q=wicket#query:wicket%20list%3Aorg.apache.wicket.users+page:1+state:facets
- dev:
http://markmail.org/search/?q=wicket+dev#query:wicket%20dev%20list%3Aorg.apache.wicket.dev+page:1+state:facets
- commits:
http://markmail.org/search/?q=wicket+commits#query:wicket%20commits%20list%3Aorg.apache.wicket.commits+page:1+state:facets

GitHub and Ohloh also provide some statistics.

Check http://builtwithwicket.tumblr.com/ and
https://cwiki.apache.org/WICKET/websites-based-on-wicket.html for a list of
sites built with Wicket.

Some other users like you have made a competition between the teams
internally to decide which technology to use. Create a relatively complex
app with your prefered technology and compare - simplicity, reusability,
testability, community support during development, ....

Good luck!

--
Martin Grigorov
jWeekend