Well I would recommend adding this in your Application class:

@Override
protected void init() {
    if(isDevelopmentMode()) {
        IRequestCycleSettings#**setTimeout();

public boolean isDevelopmentMode() {
    return (getConfigurationType() == RuntimeConfigurationType.DEVELOPMENT);
}

At least you won't have to change your code when going between deployment
and development mode :)

~ Thank you,
    Paul Bors