Hi,

Ajax request are queued so if you do....

while (true) {
                        //
                }

then this thread will be locked till you get a time out... Maybe what you
want is

1- Create some "context" for monitoring progress
2- On onclick start a new thread and pass it context in 1). This thread
will increase progress in background.
3- Timer will also have access to context and update progress according to
it.