Hi Merlijn,

This is not a direct response to your question, but did you consider
wicket-select2 as an alternative to AutoCompleteTextField?
https://github.com/ivaynberg/wicket-select2

I don't know the specific navigation features you're talking about, but in
our experience Select2 is a dramatic improvement to user (and developer!)
experience.

Dan