On Wed, May 1, 2013 at 1:23 AM, Behrooz Nobakht <nob...@gmail.com> wrote:
> More clearly, the intention is to be able to distinguish exceptions from
> Apache Wicket and other frameworks and not really handle them.

for what purpose? an unhandled exception is an unhandled exception...

> For
> instance, there can be two exceptions: MarkupException and
> CouldNotLockPageException. Both are in the context of Apache Wicket,
> however, we actually need to "two" checks to determine either. If they
> inherited a common parent class, it needed "one" check.
>
> I do not want to say that Apache Wicket should have done this. I first want
> to understand why this design decision has been made.

because we could not come up with a good usecase for having a common
parent. in any case there would have to be two parents - one for
checked and one for unchecked exceptins. which means that both would
have to implement some kind of a tagging interface to allow a single
instanceof check. but without a valid usecase why do this?

if you really want to know you can see if the exception class lives in
the org.apache.wicket.* package, and if it does its a wicket
exception.

-igor