Hi,

I work in a user group at a large US university that uses Juniper Networks
security software to filter traffic on the borders of their campus
network.  I administer a wicket web app that has been running just fine for
the last 2 years.  Last Saturday, certain wicket generated URLs were not
being successfully passed through the aforementioned filter. Long story
short and one week later, turns out that their was a recent update made to
one of the filter signatures that causes this problem, and when the
signatures were updated to the campus filter software our problems began.
Fortunately the network admins recognized this as a false positive and
agreed to disable this signature.

I'm posting this message to let folks know that this is an issue.  I have
posted the info about the error below with an example of a URL that is
blocked going from the browser to the web app.

==============
Example url that was being blocked:

"http://xxx.<http://130.126.114.121/cgdashboard/?wicket:interface=:1:pubpan:publishersform:datatable:body:rows:2:cells:1:cell:actionlink::ILinkListener>
xxx
.xxx.xxx/yyyyyyyyyyyy/?wicket:interface=:1:pubpan:publishersform:datatable:body:rows:2:cells:1:cell:actionlink::ILinkListener<http://130.126.114.121/cgdashboard/?wicket:interface=:1:pubpan:publishersform:datatable:body:rows:2:cells:1:cell:actionlink::ILinkListener>
::"

==============
Error generated at the filter:

The traffic to that host is triggering and IDP error
HTTP:XSS:HTML-SCRIPT-IN-URL-VAR
which the vendor describes as:

Juniper Networks
Solutions
Products & Services
Company
Partners
Support
Education
Signature Detail
Security Intelligence Center
Signatures
Print
Share
Short Name
        HTTP:XSS:HTML-SCRIPT-IN-URL-VAR
Severity
        High
Recommended
        Yes
Recommended Action
        Drop
Category
        HTTP
Keywords
        CSS XSS Cross Site Scripting KB983438 39776
Release Date
        2003/12/17
Update Number
        1213
Supported Platforms
        di-5.3+, idp-4.0+, isg-3.0+, j-series-9.5+, mx-9.4+, srx-9.2+,
srx-branch-9.4+

HTTP: HTML Script Tag Embedded in URL Variables

This signature detects attempts at cross-site scripting attacks. Attackers
can create a malicious Web site that includes HTML embedded in the
hyperlinks, which can violate site security settings. A victim that
accesses these hyperlinks can allow the attacker to view the victim's Web
cookies. Web cookies typically contain sensitive information. This
technique is also used by some advertisement company to gather information
about people, since the extend of the information gathered cannot be
controlled, this behavior is considered by default malicious.

Best,
Duane