That first approach worked, but it brings me back to another issue: I end
up with a query string parameter
&searchFilter=quick

This is the same problem I was running in to here:
http://apache-wicket.1842946.n4.nabble.com/form-GET-and-POST-getting-mixed-up-td4659427.html

When I try to load the page again, it keeps replacing that query string and
so I can't get back to a broad result.

Is there some way to clear the search (by clearing the query string
parameter)?

Daniel