Thanks, so basically the /* mapping should not interfere with
non-Wicket requests?

In other words, static content as well as potential directory listings
(respectively related error messages if disabled) will always be
passed on and served by the underlying application server (be it
WebSphere or Tomcat or .....), correct?

Would you know why the StringIndexOutOfBoundsException occurs when I
map the servlet to / without the wildcard/asterisk?

I tried upgrading from 1.5.3 to 1.5.10 but still get the same exception

java.lang.StringIndexOutOfBoundsException
java.lang.String.substring(String.java:1238)
org.apache.wicket.util.file.WebXmlFile.getFilterPath(WebXmlFile.java:249)
org.apache.wicket.util.file.WebXmlFile.getFilterPath(WebXmlFile.java:88)
org.apache.wicket.util.file.WebXmlFile.getUniqueFilterPath(WebXmlFile.java:67)
org.apache.wicket.protocol.http.WicketFilter.getFilterPathFromWebXml(WicketFilter.java:452)
org.apache.wicket.protocol.http.WicketFilter.init(WicketFilter.java:360)
org.apache.wicket.protocol.http.WicketServlet.init(WicketServlet.java:271)
javax.servlet.GenericServlet.init(GenericServlet.java:160)