I think you need to hide the checkboxes with pure CSS.
Don't use "display: none" because the browser won't send their values to
the server again.
You can use hacks like negative position coordinates to "move" the HTML in
the non-visible area.
Something like: position: absolute; top: -10000px;left: -10000;