Thanks Martin.

I figured out a slightly simpler approach (which I think works, please
correct me if Im mistaken) - I added the site-wide CSS to my BasePage in
Java rather than a simple include ref in the markup :

@Override
public void renderHead( IHeaderResponse response )
 {
super.renderHead( response );
 response.render( CssReferenceHeaderItem.forUrl( "assets/css/global.css" )
);
}

This results in the global.css being appended last in the <head> and thus
allows us to override anything provided by any Component or Behavior used
on the Page.