I also tried to make a desktop Wicket application to look good on Android
phone.

1. Depending on application there is a big possibility to not be able to
show all the information. For me, it was ok to use css media query to have a
different css for Android phone. I had to tweak with fonts size and hide
some markups.

2. Modal Windows are a big pain for me. I had to make them show near the top
with fixed position like:

.wicket-modal {
        position: fixed !important;
        top:5% !important;
}

Without this, on Webkit browser if you scroll down to click some link which
opens a modal, you even won't be able to see the modal (depends on how much
scrolling you need).

I cannot drag a modal on screen (neither in Webkit browser nor in Chrome).
Only the background is dragged.

So I guess, if you can avoid modals, then do it. If you cannot avoid them,
then keep them as small as possible.