Wicketeers,

I have another hard-to-track down issue.

To make matters worse, I've actually taken this code/pattern, put it into a
quickstart - and what do you know - it works fine...! This means I have no way
to recreate this error in a demonstrable way. Hopefully if I throw this out
there, someone might be able to describe the error and I can then determine
what I'm doing to cause it. Unfortunately google has zero results for;

+"Components can no  longer be added" +wicket

Anyway... the exception I'm getting is;

java.lang.IllegalStateException: Components can no  longer be added
     at
org.apache.wicket.ajax.AbstractAjaxResponse.assertNotFrozen(AbstractAjaxResponse.java:740)
     at
org.apache.wicket.ajax.AbstractAjaxResponse.assertComponentsNotFrozen(AbstractAjaxResponse.java:733)
     at
org.apache.wicket.ajax.AbstractAjaxResponse.add(AbstractAjaxResponse.java:358)
     at
org.apache.wicket.ajax.AjaxRequestHandler.add(AjaxRequestHandler.java:239)
     at
org.apache.wicket.ajax.AjaxRequestHandler.add(AjaxRequestHandler.java:232)
     at
org.apache.wicket.extensions.markup.html.repeater.tree.TableTree.updateBranch(TableTree.java:178)
     at
org.apache.wicket.extensions.markup.html.repeater.tree.AbstractTree.expand(AbstractTree.java:204)
     at myapp.TreeUtils.expandNode(TreeUtils.java:25)
     at myapp.TreeUtils.expandAll(TreeUtils.java:19)

It is caused when refreshing a table-tree component, that had previous rendered
correctly and had successfully expanded the nodes. This problem happens when
the table-trees parent component is refreshed, in which the table is rebuilt
from new, and replaced the old table. Having debugged the code, it's something
to do with the AjaxRequestHandler that has been retrieved - in that it's
components are 'frozen'. It's odd as I'm in  the onConfigure() part of the
lifecycle, and therefore components should be okay to be added - especially as
they are brand new components. Could the AjaxRequestHandler being retrieved be
the wrong one, stale one?

List I said - I can't recreate it in a Quickstart, so there is obviously
something else in the 100k+s of the projects code that is doing something else
to mess it up.

The 'Tree Utils' class looks like this;

public class TreeUtils {

    @SuppressWarnings("unchecked")
    public static void expandAll( AbstractTree<?> tree ) {

        // stupid cast!! Has to happen for use to retrieve the roots,
generically.
        AbstractTree<Object> castTree = (AbstractTree<Object>) tree;

        Iterator<?> roots = tree.getProvider().getRoots();
        while( roots.hasNext() ) {

            Object root = roots.next();
            expandNode( castTree, root );

    private static void expandNode( AbstractTree<Object> tree, Object node) {

        tree.expand(node);

        Iterator<?> children = tree.getProvider().getChildren(node);
        while( children.hasNext() ) {

            Object child = children.next();
            expandNode( tree, child );

Any pointers and tips would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Col.
EMAIL DISCLAIMER This email message and its attachments are confidential and
may also contain copyright or privileged material. If you are not the intended
recipient, you may not forward the email or disclose or use the information
contained in it. If you have received this email message in error, please
advise the sender immediately by replying to this email and delete the message
and any associated attachments. Any views, opinions, conclusions, advice or
statements expressed in this email message are those of the individual sender
and should not be relied upon as the considered view, opinion, conclusions,
advice or statement of this company except where the sender expressly, and with
authority, states them to be the considered view, opinion, conclusions, advice
or statement of this company. Every care is taken but we recommend that you
scan any attachments for viruses.