The first thing I would check is that the ModalWindow is wrapped in a
Wicket Form (see the end of the class-level Javadoc for ModalWindow: "If
you want to use form in modal window component make sure that you put the
modal window itself in another form").  If it's not, the date picker
doesn't work correctly in IE in a ModalWindow.

Form<?> form = new Form...
add(form);
ModalWindow modal = new ModalWindow(...);
form.add(modal);

You probably won't actually use the wrapping Form; it just needs to be
there.

Andrew