http://wicket.sourceforge.net/faqs.html#why-final
this is the explanation of the designers of Wicket

I agree with both sides
I don't think that there are too many finals in the code
usually if you explain why you need to remove the final we either remove it
for the next release or explain a better way
Sven asked for the reason already

Martin Grigorov
Wicket Training and Consulting