The idea would be to save the form data as work in progress in a separate
storage area.  If the user's session times out they would be directed to a
page telling them that their session timed out which would give them the
option to attempt to resume the work.

I was able to bypass validation by setting a flag on the form.  Since we use
a layer of composite controls on top of the standard wicket controls I was
able to tap into the form validation flag in each control to override
required fields and validations as required.

I understand why turning off the default form processing doesn't apply
validations and therefore does not update models, but it would be nice to
have a way to override this and just update models.