Hi,

On Wed, Mar 12, 2014 at 5:09 PM, Bruce Lombardi <brlom...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi,
>

> I have a requirement that says that, for security purposes, when a session
> times out, the application must go to a different page so that any data
> displayed is hidden and that the user must  be informed that the session
> has
> timed out.  In the init method of my Application class, which subclasses
> AuthenticatedApplication, I  have the following line.
>

> getApplicationSettings().setPageExpiredErrorPage(SessionTimeoutPage.class);
>

> So now, after the session expires, if the user clicks on anything it goes
> the SessionTimeoutPage. This is not the behavior I need, so I've done some
> searching and found some suggestions on using AjaxTimerBehavior to warn a
> user that a session is about to expire, but nothing that says exactly how
> detect an expired session. Also, some people have hinted that Ajax could
> actually keep the session alive so I'm a little confused about that.

This is correct.
Any request to the server will touch the session and thus will keep it
alive.

> Can someone please clarify this and at least point me in the right
> direction
> for fulfilling my requirements?

Your best bet is to use JavaScript counter that will count down do
document.location.href="anotherUrl"; when the counter reaches 0.
You will have to reinit the counter with every ajax request - this is easy.