Hi,

Using #updateAjaxAttributes() is the recommended way.
You can add:
-  extra parameters - their values are know when the callback script is
being generated
- dynamic extra parameters - their values are dynamically calculated just
before the Ajax call is done

But as you may see at other places you can also use the JavaScript APIs to
make a call to the server ad-hoc. The main thing you should know/have it
the destination url.

Martin Grigorov
Wicket Training and Consulting
https://twitter.com/mtgrigorov