I’ve started using CheckingObjectOutputStream to test for models of database
objects that are not properly detached, and find it very useful.

However I just diagnosed (after many hours of frustration) that it can also
cause problems rather than solve them.   CheckingObjectOutputStream causes the
equals() method of models to be called, and in the case of our models the
equals() implementation loads the database object (models of the same object
being considered equal to each other).  Since it’s doing this during
serialization and thus after the detach process, the checker actually causes
the exact problem that it’s supposed to prevent (and doesn’t generate any
warnings in this case).

Is it a general rule, that I was just not aware of, that detachable models
should never use getObject() in their implementation of equals()?   Or should
CheckingObjectOutputStream be changed to avoid calling equals() ?

Bng