Wicket Quickstart comes with embedded Jetty for much easier development.
In IDEA open class Start.java (it is in src/test/java/...), right click
somewhere in the body of the class and choose "Debug Start.main()" from the
context menu.
Consult with http://www.jetbrains.com/idea/webhelp/debugging.html for more
info.

Another option is to add: System.err.println("RESULT: " + contactList) (as
you'd do with any other language/environment)

Martin Grigorov
Wicket Training and Consulting
https://twitter.com/mtgrigorov