It turns out our ops team runs a script every ten minutes to test whether the
app was up.  The script was issuing this wierd URL a couple times per run
due to it being broken.

However, to protect against the future possibility, i implemented the
forward to HomePage thingy discussed above.  For posterity, here's how:

In the application object, I did the below and it worked fine.  Now that we
know real users weren't doing it, maybe this is overkill, but we're trying
to clean up our logs a bit.

@Override
protected IRequestCycleProcessor newRequestCycleProcessor() {
  return new WebRequestCycleProcessor() {
      @Override
      protected IRequestCodingStrategy newRequestCodingStrategy() {
        WebRequestCodingStrategy.Settings stratSettings = new
WebRequestCodingStrategy.Settings();
        stratSettings.setMountsCaseSensitive(false);
        return new WebRequestCodingStrategy(stratSettings) {
          @Override
          protected void addBookmarkablePageParameters(final Request
request, final RequestParameters parameters) {
            final String requestString =
request.getParameter(WebRequestCodingStrategy.BOOKMARKABLE_PAGE_PARAMETER_NAME);
            if (requestString != null) {
              final String[] components = Strings.split(requestString, ':');
              if (components.length != 2) {
                throw new RestartResponseException(HomePage.class);
              } else {
                super.addBookmarkablePageParameters(request, parameters);
        };
      }
  };